Couchsurfing in Rajasthan


How many of you have been hosting and staying using the couchsurfing community? I, for one, used to be really sceptical about this whole concept. I have travelled the length and breadth of India (almost), used the railway stations for sleep and public toilets to their fullest, but has been utterly reluctant to look for a couchsurfing host. Staying at someone's home and compromising their as well as our privacy? Why do these hosts let us stay for free anyways? These were the thoughts that always ran on my mind when  thought about couchsurfing. Sure, I've been to few meet-ups as a silent observer, just to be overwhelmed by the well travelled (or pretenders) attendees, but, this concept never really hit me.

Until the recent Rajasthan trip that I had been to in August. I decided to give couchsurfing a try, and, oh boy, wasn't I in for another disappointment. Since I was not a verified member in the couchsurfing app, I was allowed to send only 10 requests in a week. So, I sent requests to 2 hosts from each city that I was supposed to travel. Unfortunately, all the requests were declined, mostly because my profile isn't verified and/or had no references, except one, which was in pending state. So, I started looking ofr hostels and guesthouses, as I was aware that it is off season and the rooms will be available for cheap. I'd booked the cheapest hostels and guesthouses for the duration.

Two days later, the request that was pending, was accepted and within an hour, another host, who had initially declined, asked me if I had found any host? If not, he would host me. Now, the dilemma. Both hosts were form Jaisalmer. After going through both of their refrences, I chose to go with the second host. And, viola, I have my first couchsurfing host.

Now, a week has passed and the 10 Precious Requests are back. And so, I used them all again to look for hosts in the remaining 3 cities, Having cancled visit to Ajmer due to time constraints. Again, most of them got declined, but for one. And hence, I was able to get hold of 2 hosts in the 4 cities that I was going to visit. But, the skepticism didn't end here. I wasn't sure of all these until I got to experience these hosts.

Jaisalmer Couchsurfing Stay
with this mesmerizing Window
The time came for the first experience. Standing in the Jaisalmer Railway Station, I ringed the host at 4:50 am. And he came in his Mahindra Thar to pick me up. His was not a private house, but a guest house with 2 rooms, which were occupied when I reached. And so I slept on the open terrace under the stars (well it was clouded, so under the clouds?). As one room got vacated, I was allowed to use it for refreshing and short rest. The room, as can be seen on the photo, was utterly beautiful, with a view of the fort from the immaculately designed window. I did the desert safari, and as I was to stay in the desert at night, I volunteered to vacate the room. As I came back from the safari, the room was occupied by another guest, so my host arranged resting place for me at his staff's resting place, and that was a great experience, as finally I was able to spend some time discussing everyone's experience. I was told that, I am just the 2nd Indian to have been hosted by this particular host. The host told me that he barely knew English, and it was his zeal to learn it, that he was able to converse with all those foreigners.

Jaisalmer Couchsurfing Stay Room
Why doesn't he usually host Indians? Because, according to him, Indians treat couchsurfing platform as a platform for free hotels. Yes, his is a guesthouse. But, is he asking much when he points out that the rooms should be kept tidy for other guests to come in occupy the room at any time? Even after I insisted that I would go to the station by myself, as it was already midnight, the host ridiculed me and dropped me off at the station. First experience done right.

Udaipur Couchsurfing Stay
with a view of the famous Lake Pichola
I was hosted next at Udaipur. And, oh boy, this man is an absolute couchsurfing legend. He has been an active couchsurfing member since 2007 and has hosted uncountable guests. I reached at an odd time of 11:30 am at the Udaipur bus stand, and this man came down from his office which was some 10kms away to let me in to his heritage home located at very close proximity to the city palace. And the terrace had a marvelous view of lake Pichola. He let me stay at his heritage home, a 2 floor building with access to kitchen and everything, all alone, as he stays at a farm house away from city.


Udaipur Couchsurfing Stay Room
He told me how he'd made lifelong friends by hosting numerous people. He has a German friend, who visits him every other year. He has a couple of French friends, the wife of whom sends Rakhi to him every year without fail. And many more such persons. He is less reluctant to let in Indians and his beautiful home, as compared to other Hosts. He even told me about some crazy guests, one of which was recently, when he let a girl stay for like a month and she absolutely ruined the place. And to top it all off, she left the place without any information.

This both experience helped me to form a different perspective about the couchsurfing concept. It is not about free stay. It is about sharing and caring of fellow travellers. And it is my humble request to all the potential couchsurfers to read the house rules before deciding to stay at someone's place and adhere to it. Stay as you'd like others to stay at your place.

PS. I've changed my status (or whatever it is in couchsurfing app) from "Not accepting guest" to "Accepting guests". So if anyone is looking for couchsurfing options in JAGDALPUR, Chhattisgarh area, (you know we are surrounded by some serene natural beauties like the Chitrakoot falls and numerous caves) look for me in the couchsurfing app, and I would be more than happy to arrange a place for your stay, even if I am not in town.

You can find me in couchsurfing by clicking here.

Keep Travelling and Couchsurfing.


Comments

Popular Posts